CMPL 4002 Chinese Internal Medicine 1
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401098
Coordinator Yu-Ting Sun Opens in new window
Description The study of internal medicine forms the basis of clinical practice in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). This unit begins to bridge the gap between theory and practice. It enables the health professional to analyse, diagnose and treat common internal diseases with both acupuncture and herbal medicine and using a TCM approach. The focus of this unit is on the analysis of major presenting symptoms.
School Health Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Incompatible Subjects 700918 - Chinese Internal Medicine 1 (PG) LGYA 7251 - Chinese Internal Medicine 1
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in program 4710 - Bachelor of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Analyse and explain the connections between the causes and pathophysiological mechanisms of common internal diseases with their clinical manifestations.
- Employ the skills of inspection, auscultation and olfaction, interrogation and palpation in to accurately diagnose specific internal diseases.
- Analyse the signs and symptoms of common internal medicine diseases to arrive at a TCM differential diagnosis.
- Design treatment principles and write prescriptions (acupuncture and herbs) for common diseases of internal medicine.
- Practice protocols in TCM compared to orthodox management.
- common Cold & influenza
- Cough (bronchitis, bronchiectasis)
- Dyspnea syndrome (asthmatic bronchitis, asthmatic emphysema)
- Lung abscess (pneumonia, pulmonary abscess)
- Lung atony (pulmonary fibrosis, atelectasis)
2. Diseases and syndromes of Spleen system (TCM)
- Hiccup (some diseases with phrenospasm)
- Vomiting (gastritis, pylorospasm)
- Dysphagia (esophagitis, cardiospasm)
- Stomach-ache (gastritis, peptic ulcer)
- Abdominal pain (intestinal spasm, dyspepsia)
- Diarrhoea (enteritis, irritable bowel syndrome)
- Dysenteric disease (dysentery, ulcerative Colitis)
- Constipation (some diseases with Constipation)
3. Diseases and syndromes of Heart system (TCM)
- chest Blockage syndrome (coronary heart disease, myocarditis)
- Palpitation (arrhythmia, cardiac decompensation)
- Insomnia (neurosis, anaemia, cerebral arteriosclerosis)
- Manic psychosis (active phase of schizophrenia, Manic phase of bipolar Disorder)
- Depressive psychosis (Depressive phase of schizophrenia, Depressive phase of bipolar Disorder)
- Depression syndrome (neurosis, major Depression)
- Syncope (fainting Due to emotional stress, vagal stimulation, A sudden change in environmental temperature or body position)
4. Review of acupuncture points, prescriptions, individual herbs and formulas relevant to the above topics.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Final Exam||2 hours||40||N||Individual|
|Essay: Detailed evaluation of a condition covered in this unit||2,000 words||30||N||Individual|
|Viva Voce: Presenting a topic of a condition covered in this unit||15 minutes||30||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Subject Contact Yu-Ting Sun Opens in new window