NATS 7001 Advanced Criminalistics
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301151
Coordinator Christopher Lennard Opens in new window
Description This unit is designed to provide an in-depth knowledge of the following eight evidence categories: glass, textile fibres, paint, fire debris, explosives, firearm discharge residues, illicit drugs, and hair. Each stand-alone module introduces the evidence type and its forensic significance, details the relevant distinguishing and discriminating characteristics for the trace material in question, presents the analytical techniques commonly applied in the criminalistics laboratory, and discusses data interpretation and evidential value. The unit is unique in terms of its coverage of these trace evidence categories from an operational forensic science perspective.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 3741 Master of Forensic Science, 3742 Graduate Diploma in Forensic Science or 3743 Graduate Certificate in Forensic Science.
- Describe each evidence category in terms of general characteristics and how the material may be encountered in a criminal investigation
- Appreciate the variations in physical and chemical properties that can be used to characterize samples from each evidence category
- Recognize the importance of transfer and persistence phenomena for each trace evidence type
- Understand the range of analytical techniques that can be applied within the criminalistics laboratory and the information generated by each technique
- Describe recommended evidence collection methods and analytical sequences appropriate for each evidence category
- Understand the difficulties associated with the interpretation of analytical results for each evidence type and recognize the factors that can impact on relative evidential value
Module 2 Textile Fibers
Module 3 Paint
Module 4 Fire Debris Analysis
Module 5 Explosives
Module 6 Firearm Discharge Residues
Module 7 Illicit Drugs
Module 8 Hair
2022 Trimester 3
Subject Contact Christopher Lennard Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.