EART 7002 Advanced Statistical Hydrology
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301013
Coordinator Ataur Rahman Opens in new window
Description This unit covers at-site flood frequency analysis, regional flood frequency analysis, trend analysis of hydrological data, linear regression analysis and multivariate statistical techniques to solve advanced hydrological problems.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Apply at-site flood frequency analysis techniques to estimate design floods from recorded streamflow data.
- Apply regional flood frequency analysis techniques to estimate design floods when no recorded streamflow data is available.
- Apply trend analysis to rainfall and streamflow time series data to check the stationarity of the data.
- Apply linear regression analysis to develop prediction models to estimate streamflow and rainfall indices.
- Apply multivariate statistical techniques to hydrological problems.
- Evaluate current Australian codes and software to solve statistical hydrological problems.
- Critically evaluate current literature to benchmark recent problems and developments in statistical hydrology practice.
- Design sustainable hydrology projects.
1. At-site flood frequency analysis
2. Regional flood frequency analysis
3. Trend analysis of hydrological data
4. Linear regression analysis as applied to hydrological problems
5. Multivariate statistical techniques as applied to hydrological problems
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Intra-Session Exam - closed book||1 hour||25||N||Individual|
|Group Project Report (up to 3 students per group)||5,000 words||30||N||Group|
|Final examination - closed book||2 hours||45||N||Individual|
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Ataur Rahman Opens in new window