FINC 7013 Planning for Retirement
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200871
Coordinator Nicole Ibbett Opens in new window
Description This subject provides an understanding of key issues, decisions and frameworks involved in financial planning for later life and succession. It enables the student to provide advice on business succession planning strategies, to evaluate the most appropriate estate planning for different types of clients at different stages of their life, to analyse wills, trusts and social security provisions, to apply relevant analytical and decision making tools to succession, trust administration, tax strategy and similar post-retirement decisions.
Discipline Banking, Finance and Related Fields, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) FINC 7020
Students must be enrolled in program 2794 Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning, 2793 Master of Financial Planning, 2808 Graduate Diploma in Stockbroking and Financial Advising or 2807 Master of Stockbroking and Financial Advising.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Evaluate where estate planning fits in any particular client's circumstances;
- Analyse wills, trusts and estate planning arrangements and social security provisions appropriate for the client's needs, aims and circumstances;
- Apply relevant analytical and decision making tools to succession, trust administration, tax strategy and similar post-retirement decisions;
- Provide advice on business succession planning strategies and how they can be used in different cultural settings.
- Estate planning
- Wills- Executors and power of Attorney
- social security, aged care, and longevity Issues in later life
- taxation implications of Estate planning
- business succession planning
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||1,250 words||30||Y||Individual|
|Final Exam||2 hours||50||Y||Individual|
- Taylor, S, Financial Planning in Australia: Advice and Wealth Management, 9th Edition 2020, Lexis Nexis Butterworths, Australia.
- Perkins,M and Monohan,R Estate Planning : A Practical Guide for Professionals Helping Australians to Age Well , 5th Edition , 2021, LexisNexis
Quarter 2 (2022)
Subject Contact Julie Knutsen Opens in new window
View timetable Opens in new window
Quarter 1 (2023)
Subject Contact Sharon Taylor Opens in new window