LAWS 2017 Indonesia: Law, Governance and Culture
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Jeremy Kingsley Opens in new window
Description This subject provides students with the opportunity to visit and learn about the legal cultures and systems applied in Australia’s nearest northern neighbour and a gateway to Asia – Indonesia. The Study Tour provides students with an introduction to Indonesia’s rich tapestry of cultural, religious, legal and political issues. This subject is taught intensively, and students will visit an array of law and governance sites from transnational law firms in Jakarta to religious boarding schools in Yogyakarta and sultan’s palaces in Surakarta, which are all pivotal to governance arrangements in Indonesia but in very different ways.
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) LAWS 2008
Students must have successfully completed 80 credit points of Law subjects.
After successful completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Explain the structure and nature of the Indonesian legal system and legal cultures.
- Reflect on the differences in common law and civil law as practiced in Asia.
- Analyse the roles of state and non-state actors and institutions in Indonesian local governance arrangements.
- Evaluate the operations of transnational corporate lawyers and businesses in Indonesia, including their impact on the country's legal, economic, and social systems.
- Introduction to Indonesian history and culture.
- Overview of Indonesian business systems, corporate governance, and cultures.
- Comparative law in practice: Common Law and Civil Law.
- Indonesian law and legal practice.
- Transnational corporate law and the impact on Indonesian society, legal and business practices.
Students must meet any visa and medical requirements to visit Indonesia.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Jeremy Kingsley Opens in new window