MEDI 7008 Chronic Disease Management in Rural Practice
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401272
Coordinator Andrew Page Opens in new window
Description This subject will examine the pathophysiology, epidemiology, clinical presentation and treatment of chronic diseases in rural and remote settings in the Australian context. Students will develop systems to effectively manage chronic disease within their clinical environment and consider key aspects of the professional practice required of doctors caring for patients with chronic diseases. This subject will also introduce the concepts of collaboration with a multidisciplinary team.
Discipline General Medicine
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in 4760 Master of Medicine (Rural Generalism)
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Identify and evaluate the pathophysiology, epidemiology, clinical presentation and treatment of chronic diseases in rural and remote settings in the Australian context
- Explain key aspects of the professional practice required of doctors caring for patients with chronic diseases in rural and remote settings in the Australian context, including their limitations and referral pathways for complex patients.
- Assess and manage patients with chronic diseases in rural and remote settings in the Australian context
- Reflect on own practice to promote best practice in rural generalism
- Develop systems within your clinical setting that promote chronic disease management
- Evaluate policies, ethical, professional and legal statutory requirements applicable to rural medical practitioners
- Work effectively and in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team to effect chronic disease management
What is Chronic Disease in Rural and Remote Australia ULO 1,2,3
Principles of Chronic Disease Management ULO 1,2,3,4,5,7
Common Chronic Disease Presentations in Rural Generalist practice 1 ULO 1,2,3,6,7
Chronic Disease Care in the Aboriginal and Torres Islander Community ULO 1,2,3,6,7
Common Chronic Disease Presentations in Rural Generalist practice 2 ULO 1,2,3,6,7
Practice Systems to Promote Chronic Disease Management ULO 2,3,4,5,6,7
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quizzes||15mins at end of each module||10||N||Individual|
|Online Forum Participation||Twice weekly throughout the semester||10||N||Individual|
|Case Study x 2||500 words each||30||N||Individual|
|Reflection: Essay||2000 words||50||N||Individual|
- No prescribed text. All learning resources will be provided on vUWS