CART 7007 Creativity: Theory and Practice
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102376
Coordinator Sally Macarthur Opens in new window
Description Research in communication arts utilises a range of investigative procedures appropriate to the theory and practice of each creative arts discipline. This unit will introduce fundamental research languages, methods, and outcomes relevant to the creative arts disciplines, and encourage students to develop approaches best suited to their theory and practice. Students will write and defend a research proposal and paper for a research program: the unit will enable students to apply a rigorous research framework to their work. Students will engage with a range of significant and critical texts which address the broad implications of practices and theories in creative arts disciplines.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 1827 Master of Arts (Creative Arts) or the Master of Research.
- Describe and evaluate social, cultural and theoretical contexts for creative and analytic work.
- Develop and apply appropriate writing skills for research papers.
- Develop and demonstrate appropriate analytic and research skills through collegial discussion.
- Develop and demonstrate skills in self-directed, arts-based research, and independent thinking.
- Identify the relationship between creativity and theoretical work.
- Critique the creative models used in creative arts practice.
Theories of culture and communication
Visibility and knowledge
Novelty and mimicry
Interfaces and affect
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Seminar Presentation||20 min oral presentation||10||N||Individual|
|Seminar written paper||2,000 words||20||N||Individual|
|Proposal for Research Paper||1,000 words||20||N||Individual|
|Research Paper||3,000 words||40||N||Individual|
|Collaborative Critical Reflection||20 minute oral presentation||10||N||Individual|
- Course readings will be available through the Library e-Reserve.