MEDI 7072 Surgical Pathology of the Female Genital Tract
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401479
Coordinator Tristan Rutland Opens in new window
Description This subject will revise the diagnostic entities in gynaecological pathology that were introduced in Surgical Pathology IV. The first self-directed online learning module is composed of digitalized images and practical notes on the diagnostic approach to important pathological entities of gynaecological pathology. A second online module will revise the sub-specialities covered in Surgical Pathology I through V. Students will be required to complete a literature review of contemporary and emerging developments in a relevant pathological entity. This subject is designed to revise all areas of surgical pathology within the Master of Pathology as well as promote engagement with professional development activities relevant to a career as a pathologist.
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects MEDI 7037 - Surgical Pathology 6
Students must be enrolled in 4750 Masters of Medicine (Pathology).
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Examine and interpret advanced diagnostic entities in surgical pathology in the subspecialty of gynaecological pathology
- Identify and apply appropriate ancillary techniques in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions within all subspecialties of surgical pathology
- Identify common and uncommon disease entities in surgical pathology based on their histological features
- Report pathological findings using written and oral communication skills to patients, other health professional and related stakeholders
- Engage in professional development activities related to anatomical pathology
Students need to meet the legislative requirements to be in a supervised specialist training role in Pathology, and hence be working clinically in a hospital/laboratory setting. If a student fails to meet these requirements they will not be allowed to enrol in the subject.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Case Study||20 cases ~300-500 words each||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Literature Review||2500 word limit||50||Y||Individual|
|Report||10 cases ~300-500 words each||50||Y||Individual|
- Crum C.P., Nucci M.R., Lee K.R. Diagnostic Gynecologic and Obstetric Pathology (2nd Ed.). Elsevier: Philadelphia 2011.
2nd Half (2023)
Subject Contact Tristan Rutland Opens in new window