LAWS 7064 Legal Research Project 2
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 201076
Coordinator Elen Seymour Opens in new window
Description This unit provides students with a capstone research experience in relation to a supervised and structured research project. Students will be required to reflect on their earlier research projects and to apply learning from these to enhance this unit's research outcomes. Students will develop and refine their legal research and writing skills by exploring and analysing a legal topic chosen in consultation with a member of the academic staff in pursuing a particular research interest. Working closely with a supervisor, students will compose a research paper of 5,000 words on an approved topic in law and will provide a 20-minute class presentation based upon the completed project. The research project areas will principally focus upon those areas identified by the School of Law in its Research Strategy.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) LAWS 7063
Equivalent Subjects LAWS 7024 - International Independent Study Law 2
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in program 2784 or 2810 Master of Laws (International Governance), 2824 Master of Laws or 2826 Juris Doctor.
- Present a sustained evidence based research paper.
- Demonstrate a high level of comprehension of the selected topic.
- Undertake legal research to locate up to date and accurate information from a variety of both primary and secondary sources.
- Engage in analytical, critical and reflective evaluation of issues and materials.
- Develop reasoned, coherent and persuasive arguments that lead to a logical conclusion.
- Demonstrate excellent academic method and originality in research and writing.
1. Reflection on research experiences
2. Research methodology
3. Literature review
4. Topic proposal
5. Submission of paper
6. Class presentation
Note: the area of research may extend, but must not duplicate research done in previous units.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Research Assignment||5,000 words||100||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Elen Seymour Opens in new window