BUSM 7087 Strategic Employment Relations
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200722
Coordinator George Lafferty Opens in new window
Description This capstone unit aims for students to acquire the skills, knowledge and understanding of the challenges of managing people strategically in complex and turbulent environments. The unit examines theories on business strategy, strategic management, human resource strategy and industrial relations strategy. The use of knowledge of Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations in strategic analysis and evaluation for transforming the people management function is explained. Management practice is considered through examining ways of acting strategically relative to tendencies for the human resource function to become mired in tactical responses. The tools and techniques for analysing, implementing and evaluating strategy are emphasised.
Discipline Human Resource Management
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Incompatible Subjects LGYA 8573 - Employment Relations Strategy and Change
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
Knowledge of human resource management and industrial relations from studying at least 40 credit points at the postgraduate level.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Explain approaches to theories of organisational strategy and structure through contrasting a range of influential models;
- Design strategies in relation to stakeholders and context using case examples;
- Critically analyse various employment relations theories and models that seek to explain the processes of strategy formation;
- Relate management, union and government policies to the wider strategic concerns of the organisation with special consideration of how strategic decisions are made and implemented;
- Analyse the development and implementation of employment relations strategy within the environment of business planning and in relation to a specific organisation for organisational transformation;
- Apply tools for strategy implementation and evaluation.
- strategic management
- human resource management strategy
- industrial relations strategy
- human resource Transformation
- human resource management, industrial relations and organisational change
- Practising strategy
- strategy evaluation: Balance Scorecard, human resource Metrics
1. Strategic Management
2. Human Resource Management Strategy
3. Industrial Relations Strategy
4. Human Resource Transformation
5. Human Resource Management, Industrial Relations and Organisational Change
6. Practising Strategy
7. Strategy Evaluation: Balance Scorecard, Human Resource Metrics
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Evaluating strategic processes: responding to contemporary issues||2,000 words||50||N||Individual|
- Selected weekly readings are made available through vUWS.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact George Lafferty Opens in new window
Sydney City Campus Quarter 3
Subject Contact Daniel Townsend Opens in new window