TOUR 3005 Tourism Policy and Planning
Credit Points 10
Description This subject provides students with a general understanding of planning theory as it relates to sustainable tourism policy and practice. Students will hear directly from practitioners about the ways in which policy and planning is being deployed to address contemporary tourism issues. The subject will explore various planning techniques, tourism policies, scenario mapping strategies and consider conflict resolution practices. The major assessment develops students’ abilities to identify deficiencies in current policy and to propose policy recommendations.
School Social Sciences
Student Contribution Band
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects BUSM 3073 - Tourism Policy and Planning
Students must have completed 80 credit points prior to enrolling in this subject.
- Examine planning theory as it relates to sustainable tourism;
- Analyse various planning techniques, tourism policies, scenario mapping strategies and conflict resolution practices;
- Work individually and in teams to present their ideas orally and in written forms;
- Integrate quantitative and qualitative tourism data to formulate policies and procedures;
- Apply planning theory to an analysis of tourism policies, sites, facilities and activities.
- Tourism policy and planning
- Sustainable tourism concepts and indicators to case studies
- Tourism experiences and opportunities using qualitative and quantitative data
- Stakeholder conflicts and impact assessments
- Destination management
- Scenario planning
- • Professional presentations
- • Planning frameworks
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Presentation||15 minutes (500 words equivalent, per group member)||20||N||Group|
|Report||1,000 words per group member||40||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Opens in new window