LAWS 7033 Security of Ideas
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200980
Coordinator Sarah Hook Opens in new window
Description This unit provides an introduction and overview of the legal principles of intellectual property law, and traces the development of this law in Australia. The modules consider the different forms of intellectual property including copyright (including moral rights and performers protection), designs, patents, plant breeders rights, trade mark law, passing-off and related actions, domain name law, confidentiality, circuit layouts, the historical development of intellectual property, and the international intellectual property framework (including World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and World Trade Organization (WTO)).
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) Students enrolled in 27842810 Master of Laws (International Governance) must have successfully completed the prerequisite unit LAWS 7027 Legal Philosophy and Methodology
Co-requisite(s) Students enrolled in 3748 Master of Information Governance must be enrolled in or have successfully completed the corerequisite unit LAWS 7009 Commercial Law
Students must be enrolled in 2824 Master of Laws, 2784 or 2810 Master of Laws (International Governance), 3748 Master of Information Governance, Bachelor of Research Studies or Master of Research.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the principles of intellectual property law.
- Analyse and interpret the relevant legal principles relating to the subject matter of this unit.
- Critically evaluate the implications and effectiveness of the principles of intellectual property law.
- Demonstrate advanced skills in legal research and written and oral communication skills appropriate to the subject matter of this unit.
Passing Off and related actions
Plant Breeder?fs Rights
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz - Online||60 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Presentation - Oral Presentation||10 minutes||30||N||Individual|
|Essay - Research Essay||3000 words||50||N||Individual|
- Rocque Reynolds et al, Intellectual Property: Text and Essential Cases (Federation Press, 5th ed, 2015).
Subject Contact Sarah Hook Opens in new window