TEAC 7151 Applied Mathematics and Science in Secondary STEM Education
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102764
Coordinator Les Vozzo Opens in new window
Description This unit develops in-service teachers' knowledge and skills in the application of mathematics and science in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) disciplines. The unit content and assessments are designed to (1) build teachers' foundational skills in science/mathematics, and (2) build teachers' professional skills in the implementation of science/mathematics in their classrooms. A particular focus of the unit is how science/mathematics can be used to authentically integrate curriculum content from across the different STEM disciplines through inquiry- and problem-based learning, with the ultimate aim of enhancing student engagement and achievement in the STEM disciplines.
Discipline Teacher Education: Secondary
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Must be enrolled in 1882 Graduate Certificate in Secondary STEM Education.
Students are assumed to be qualified secondary school teachers with classroom experience in delivering the NSW or Australian curriculum.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge and skills in mathematics and science as applied in integrated secondary STEM education
- Design teaching and learning sequences which apply mathematics and science as part of integrated STEM units in secondary school contexts.
- Critically appraise the role of mathematics and science in creating authentic learning experiences for students in secondary school contexts, including through inquiry- and problem-based learning.
- development of An Understanding of mathematical and scientific content relevant to integrated STEM Teaching and learning in secondary schools.
- using mathematics and science to Create authentic learning experiences for secondary school students.
- application of effective mathematical and scientific pedagogy in secondary school contexts.
- inquiry- and Problem-based learning with science/mathematics in integrated STEM Teaching and learning.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional Task: Digital STEM Resource Development||2,000 words||50||Y||Individual|
|Essay: Resource Review and Critical Reflection||2,000 words||50||Y||Individual|
Subject Contact Les Vozzo Opens in new window