HUMN 1017 Everyday Life
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100897
Coordinator David Tait Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces students to key themes and issues in the study of everyday life. It draws on different disciplinary areas - especially anthropology, sociology and cultural studies - and different theoretical and methodological perspectives to examine the ways cultural practices and meanings are used to shape human identities and societies in everyday life. It will focus on rituals and routines in the different spaces of everyday life, and the ways these contribute to the production of local worlds and the key cultural categories that give meaning to these worlds. It will include a focus on how we research everyday life.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 0187 - Introduction to Cultural Studies HUMN 1018 - Everyday Life (WSTC)
- Demonstrate their understanding of key issues in the study of everyday life
- Use central concepts in cultural and social analysis
- Explain key approaches to the study of everyday life
- Implement their skills in critical analysis and interpretation
- Relate subject knowledge to the contemporary world
- Undertake independent and self-directed learning
- Use skills in the oral and written presentation of knowledge.
The spaces of the everyday - work, home, leisure, etc
The social construction of identity and belonging in everyday life - self, gender, nation, ethnicity, etc
The social construction of nature
Studying everyday life - ethnography, semiotics
The global dimensions of everyday life
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Learning Journal (quizzes and reflective journal)||1,000 words||60||N||Individual|
|Writing Exercises||1,200 words||40||N||Individual|
- Set of Readings compiled by subject coordinator