LAWS 3030 Information and Data Governance Law and Regulation
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200955
Coordinator Jacinta Sassine Opens in new window
Description This subject examines the operation of information technology for online data collection, information privacy and data governance laws and regulation. The subject focuses on the right to privacy, the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data and the legal framework for information protection. The framework for information privacy and data governance is established by both international and domestic law and regulation. The subject introduces the basic legal framework for information privacy protection and governance under the European Union's Commission, the OECD Guidelines for the Protection of Privacy and Trans-Border Flows of Personal data and under the Australian Privacy protection framework. The subject compares the information governance policy and framework in the European Union and the United States with that in Australia.
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) LAWS 2003
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Recognise the legal issues that arise from the use of information technologies in cyberspace;
- Apply the basic international and national legal framework, the policy to information privacy and data governance laws and regulation to related legal issues for law reform;
- Use critical thinking and research to resolve related legal issues in oral and/or written forms.
- Theoretical approaches to information and data Governance Law
- Information and data Governance legal frameworks in The European union
- OECD guidelines for The protection of Privacy and trans-border flows of personal data
- Australian Privacy protection and information Governance framework
- Impact of international and national laws and regulation on Privacy and data Governance policies
- Challenges for regulators in providing adequate and effective protection information and data Governance laws and regulation in cyberspace
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Jacinta Sassine Opens in new window