LANG 3027 Creative Non-Fiction
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100856
Coordinator Sara Knox Opens in new window
Description This unit provides students with an advanced understanding of the issues, processes and practical questions involved in the writing of creative non-fiction. It is intended that students will gain both enhanced theoretical knowledge of writing practices and, through workshop participation and practical exercises, develop both their own writing skills and the ability to critique the writing of others on the basis of sound understanding of the characteristics of the genre.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 6564 - Texts and Techniques
Restrictions Successful completion of 60 credit points of study in currently enrolled program.
A good standard of written expression.
- Identify the characteristics of genre in the categories of creative non-fiction studied;
- Demonstrate their understanding of those characteristics in their own writing;
- Analyse technical and aesthetic relationship of non-fiction to fiction;
- Demonstrate the etiquette of editorial advice;
- Practice the techniques of self-editing;
- Demonstrate their own authorial voice across a range of autobiographical narrative genres.
The personal essay
The literary essay
The conceptual essay
Biography: writing the lives of others
Meta-fictional, experimental and hybrid fictions
- A Subject Reader of primary sources compiled by the subject coordinator