LAWS 7029 Migration Practice 2
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 201004
Coordinator Jason Donnelly Opens in new window
Description This subject focuses on the practical processes involved in migration practice as a registered migration agent in Australia. The subject covers topics such as the interview consulting process with clients, the regime for lodging valid visa application (including the methods of lodgement and preparation procedures) and Freedom of Information requests and practical aspects of communicating with the Department. This subject also provides students with the opportunity to undertake a capstone practical training placement with a registered migration agent business. NOTE: All students must attend a mandatory onsite intensive one day workshop to address practical aspects of the Occupational Competency Standards of the department of Immigration and Border Protection. Students must also undertake a five day Capstone Practical training Placement to gain professional experience in the migration agent industry.
Discipline Law, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Incompatible Subjects LGYA 4914 - Migration Law in Practice
Must be enrolled in 2803 Graduate Diploma in Australian Migration Law.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Conduct the interview consulting process between a migration agent and prospective client and migration agent and client.
- Prepare, review and lodge visa applications.
- Assist with the provision of immigration assistance and migration client files.
- Interact with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, and examine the notification requirements that relate to migration agents.
- Conduct a safe, caring, ethical and professional practice required by a migration agent.
- Reflect on self-practice for professional development.
The interview consulting process
Freedom of Information requests
Visa application charges
Communicating with the Department
Capstone practical training placement.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional Task - Draft letter to DIBP on behalf of client in relation to migration problem scenario||800 words||10||N||Individual|
|Professional Task - Prepare paper-based visa application to address issues raised in migration problem scenario||3,000 words||30||N||Individual|
|Capstone Practical Training Placement||5 days||30||N||Individual|