LAWS 3033 International Business Transactions Law
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200638
Coordinator John Juriansz Opens in new window
Description This subject is designed to be taught offshore as well as in Australia. It examines the legal regimes governing international business; international sales transactions; licensing, and investment arrangements; build, operate and transfer schemes; what lawyers do when negotiating and drafting international trade; what needs to be taken into account when dealing with developed, developing, and non-market economies; and the interplay of law, politics and culture in these contexts.
Discipline International Law
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) LAWS 3045
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of the field and explain, identify and critically evaluate the key concepts, policies and issues on defined topics.
- Apply an understanding of the relevant legal concepts and aspects of policy analysis to analysing and solving practical problems and legal issues in a clear, logical and effective way.
- historical introduction and present day cross border trade
- The international sales Contract (formation, performance, Breach, Termination, Frustration)
- financing The sales Contract (Documentary Credits)
- Shipping (Bills of Lading)
- foreign direct investment (build, Operate and transfer Schemes, Project financing and Syndicated Loans)
- Transfers of Technology (Licensing, theft, and protection of Intellectual property)
- Dispute Settlement (Resolution of international disputes and enforcement of foreign judgements)
- The private regulation of international trade
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Take home exam 1||2,500 words-48 hours||45||N||Individual|
|Take home exam 2||2,500 words-48 hours||45||N||Individual|
- Ralph H Folsom et al, International Business Transactions: A Problem-Oriented Coursebook (West Academic, 12th ed, 2015).