PERF 1025 Sound Design and New Electronic Media
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102759
Coordinator Brendan Smyly Opens in new window
Description The unit builds on the conceptual and practical work presented in Music Production, deepening students' understanding of technology in contemporary music and media arts practice. Students will study the digital field recording for sound design and composition, the basic principles of sound synthesis procedures and musical acoustics, and creative sound design and synthesiser patch editing. Technical concepts are contextualised within a critical survey of contemporary music and sound design practice.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Pre-requisite(s) PERF 1009 OR
Equivalent Subjects PERF 1006 - Digital Musics 2 - Studio and Soundscape PERF 1019 - Sound Synthesis and the Sound Environment PERF 1018 - Sound Design
Ability to understand basic acoustics and technical terminology; ability to conduct effective stereo audio recording; ability to operate simple MIDI systems; ability to operate simple audio mixing consoles; ability to critically analyse electroacoustic sound and music works at a basic level.
- Apply basic musical acoustics terminology and sound synthesis concepts and methods.
- Design sounds using synthesiser patch editing.
- Incorporate basic DAW protocols and tools, including audio libraries, MIDI interface, in the final mixing and mastering process.
- Explore and use sound as a narrative tool and artistic palette.
- Record, edit and manipulate sound samples for use in sound design.
- Those attending Art of Sound will be able to: Participate meaningfully in Art of Sound activities and projects, working with students across the Music program to develop collaborative, technical and performance skills.
Practical and theoretical examinations of field recording techniques for sound design.
Practical and theoretical examinations of musical acoustics, sound synthesis and synthesiser patch editing for sound design.
Critical listening and examination of contemporary music and sound design practice.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Practical: Create synthesizer patches||3 unique sounds||30||N||Individual|
|Applied project 1: Short electronic soundscape design||2 minutes||30||N||Individual|
|Applied project 2: Substantial creative musical project||3 - 5 minutes||40||N||Individual|
|Attendance: Art of Sound attendance||N/A||S/U||Y||Individual|
- Hirsch, S (2020) Logic Pro X Essential Training, Carpinteria CA.: Linkedinlearning.com
- J. Scott Giaquinta (2015) Up and Running with ABSYNTH 5, Carpinteria CA.: Linkedinlearning.com
- Note: The above texts are supplied through the UWS Lynda.com site license
Subject Contact Brendan Smyly Opens in new window