NURS 7040 Perspectives on Nursing
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400774
Coordinator Antoinette Cotton Opens in new window
Description This unit addresses the origins and development of nursing knowledge. A major focus is the development and progress of the discipline of nursing. It includes an in-depth exploration of the history and philosophy of nursing science, including epistemology and strategies for theory generation in nursing. The impact of borrowed perspectives on research, theory and practice in the discipline of nursing is also explored. The unit also addresses the development of theoretical perspectives in nursing, including areas of controversy in the discipline. Numerous perspectives on the relationship between nursing theory, research and practice are considered. A major emphasis in the unit is development of knowledge and understanding of the link between nursing theory, research, practice and related issues.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 7149 - Nursing Knowledge Concepts Models and Theories
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
- Outline ways in which nursing knowledge has developed
- Identify relationships between world views and approaches to generation of knowledge in nursing
- Discuss a number of the philosophical issues that impinge on nursing knowledge
- Identify issues related to a range of epistemological issues in nursing knowledge
- Describe a range of approaches to research and theory development in nursing
- Discuss the contribution of borrowed perspectives to the evolution of nursing knowledge
- Describe philosophical underpinnings of extant nursing models and theories
- Describe elements that comprise theories and conceptual models of nursing
- Demonstrate a capacity for critical analysis and evaluation of major extant nursing models and theories using established criteria
- Demonstrate an understanding of nursing phenomena and development of nursing concepts
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the influence of inductive and deductive reasoning on the construction and development of nursing theories and conceptual models
- Discuss critical issues related to the use of nursing models and theories in nursing practice and research
Evolution of the discipline of nursing
Generating theory from practice
Human science and nursing
Inductive approaches to theory development
Nursing development unit model
Paradigmatic perspectives in nursing
Philosophy and nursing
Social science and nursing epistemology
Analysis and evaluation of conceptual models and theories of nursing
Conceptual models and nursing theories
Future of nursing theory
Ideas in nursing knowledge (concepts, constructs, propositions, hypothesis, theories, principles, laws, frameworks and models)
International perspectives on nursing theory
Nursing theory as a guide to practice and research
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Discussion Paper||2500 words||50||N||Individual|
|Concept Paper||2500 words||50||N||Individual|
- There is no essential textbook.
2022 Semester 1
Subject Contact Antoinette Cotton Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.