ENVL 3007 Urban Environment
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300860
Coordinator Michelle Ryan Opens in new window
Description This unit explores the relationships between community, the natural environment and government within an urban context through considering how housing and urban development can influence population health. Concepts explored include "healthy housing", "active living" "safety by design" and "energy efficiency". Through a combination of case studies and practical field experience, students will develop the skills and knowledge appropriate to assessing the "healthiness" and sustainability of urban environments. The unit examines methods of construction and building regulation aimed at the preservation of health and amenity.
Discipline Environmental Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 6254 - Urban Environment
Incompatible Subjects LGYB 9943 - Environmental Health Law ARCH 3007 - Urban Development Systems NATS 2020 - Healthy Built Environments
Restrictions Successful completion of 120 credit points
- Explain the requirements for sustainable and healthy urban design
- Describe the principles of urban development assessment
- Describe environmental, health and planning control of urban development projects
- Describe the principles of liveable and healthy urban design
- Analyse the relationship between disease prevention and housing design, including their relationship to �gepidemics of today�h - obesity, heart disease and depression
- Research, evaluate, utilise and communicate relevant statutory and policy information
Human health impacts of housing and urban development;
Healthy Housing, "Active Living", "Safety By Design" and "Energy Efficiency";
Assessment of "Healthiness" and sustainability of urban environments;
Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, Local Government Act, Public Health Act;
Building Code of Australia;
Development approval and control.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quiz||1.5 hours||30||N||Individual|
|Individual Report||2000 words||50||N||Individual|
- Dannenberg, AL, Frumkin, H & Jackson, RJ (eds) 2011, Making Healthy Places: Designing and Building for Health, Well-being, and Sustainability, Island Press, Washington, DC.