INFO 0008 Computer Studies (WSTC Prep)
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 700201
Coordinator Frank Gutierrez Opens in new window
Description This subject introduces and develops basic competencies in using computers and application software for the Building Design Management and Construction Management industries. The ability to use computers and application software for creating word-processed documents, spreadsheets, as well as understanding the processes involved with creating and analysing designs and managing projects has become an integral part of the required skill set for these industries. This subject has been developed to enhance students' practical ability as well as build a theoretical foundation for further study.
School Western Sydney The College
Discipline Information Technology, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
Equivalent Subjects INFO 0009 - Computer Studies (UWSC)
Students must be enrolled at Western Sydney University, The College.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Identify and describe the basic computer concepts and use of computers in the Construction industry.
- Explain the key security issues of information technology.
- Explain the social, ethical and privacy issues relating to computing.
- Recognise the basic process of designing, estimating and scheduling of a construction project.
- Demonstrate competency in the use of the following Microsoft Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Describe basic functions in the use of MS-Project
- Describe basic functions in the use of design software, such as ArchiCAD.
- Introduction to Information Systems and Technology
- The Internet and the World Wide Web
- Basic process of designing, estimating and scheduling of a construction project.
- Introduction to Microsoft Project
- Introduction to ArchiCAD.
- Introduction to the Windows Environment
- Using the Internet and the World Wide Web
- Introduction to word processing
- Introduction to PowerPoint
- Introduction to Excel
- Introduction to Creating WebPages;
- Introduction to Access
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Tutorial & Classroom Participation
|Approx 20-30 mins each
|a. Report b. Report c. Presentation
|500 words each report 7 slides
|30 mins each
- The College Computer Studies Student Workbook