NURS 7027 Infant Mental Health
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400835
Coordinator Stacy Blythe Opens in new window
Description This unit will provide an overview of the issues that impact on infant mental health. Theoretical frameworks influencing the study of infant-parent relationships will be discussed. Nursing management strategies relating to infant mental health disorders and the promotion of positive parent-child relationships will be examined.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 7114 - Introduction to Infant Mental Health - Child and Family Health Nursing
Fundamental concepts of infant and child physical and mental health at undergraduate degree level.
- Critically appraise theoretical frameworks influencing studies of infant mental health and the attachment framework
- Evaluate the main factors that can influence infant mental health and emotional development
- Discuss the importance of positive parent child relationships and successful attachment as a predictor of a child�fs later social development
- Distinguish the characteristics of mental health disorders in infancy and formulate nursing interventions
- Explain the nature and scope of early intervention strategies in disordered parent infant attachments
- Reflect on their new working understanding of attachment theory and relevant application to nursing practice
- Apply communication and other technologies effectively in personal and professional learning
- Demonstrate highly developed skills as a self- reliant learner to effectively work in groups and teams
- infant development - Models and risks to development
- Defining mental health disorders in Infancy
- emotional development
Module 2 Attachment Theory
- attachment - Defining and Debunking myths
- patterns and Classification of attachment (secure, insecure, disorganized)
- attachment framework - disorders and interventions
Module 3 Implementing IMH and Attachment Theory in Practice
- The parent-infant relationship - observation, assessment and rating Scales
- applying theoretical Models in practice
- implications for child and family health Nursing practice
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Essay: Integrating ‘infant mental health’ theory and practice with current or projected nursing role.||2,000 words||50||N||Individual|
|Report: Observation of parent infant dyad using a Infant Mental Health framework and discussion of appropriate nursing interventions to support the family.||2,000 words||50||N||Individual|
|Asynchronous Discussion Board Participation 3 Threads||Max 250 words each||S/U||N||Individual|
- There is no essential textbook.