SPRT 2009 Professional Development and Work Experience
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400903
Coordinator Chloe Taylor Opens in new window
Description Experience in the field of study is an essential ingredient in marketing an individual for employment and often for professional memberships. Professional Practice provides students with an opportunity to observe and assist Sport & Exercise Science practitioners in action and to learn in a practical hands on setting. Students will have the opportunity to see how knowledge and skills acquired in lectures and tutorials/laboratories can be applied and also relate theoretical concepts and skills to situations in exercise-related settings. This subject is the first of two subjects which require a work placement which is usually off campus.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Human Movement
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Pre-requisite(s) SPRT 1001
Co-requisite(s) HLTH 2006
Equivalent Subjects SPRT 2010 - Professional Practice in Sport Exercise Science 2
Students must be enrolled in 4658 Bachelor of Health Science (Sport and Exercise Science).
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Provide evidence of personal and professional development through observation, experimentation and practice, under the supervision of an experienced practitioner.
- Deliver exercise related services effectively and safely in compliance with OH&S, standard operating procedures, and the Exercise and Sport Science Australia (ESSA) code of professional conduct and ethical practice.
- Maintain confidential client records of health status, fitness tests, exercise programming, and valid informed consent.
- Communicate effectively in written, oral and nonverbal forms.
- Understand and critically evaluate the structure and function of a sport or exercise related industry.
- Establish additional personal contacts in the exercise industry.
- Establish contacts within A sport/Exercise - related industry
- preparation of A learning Contract through Negotiation with An agency supervisor
- 60 hours placement within the industry of sport and exercise science at an approved agency under the guidance of an approved supervisor
Prior to enrolling in this subject, students must have submitted a Student Undertaking Form and undertake to apply for a National Police Check, which is required to be submitted before placement. Students must also hold a valid and current First Aid Certificate from a Registered Training Organisation. Refer to the Special Requirements website for more information.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Log/Workbook: ESSA logbook to document hours of professional practice||60 hours||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Contract and Evaluation booklet||14 pages||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Agency Profile and evaluation||3-4 pages||S/U||Y||Individual|
|Letter of thanks to supervisor||1 page||S/U||Y||Individual|
- There are no textbooks assigned to this subject because the theoretical content is delivered in the co-requisite subject, Exercise Prescription for General Populations (400326).