COMP 7019 Applied Machine Learning
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301312
Coordinator Vernon Asuncion Opens in new window
Description This unit introduces the foundation and concepts underpinning Machine Learning (ML) at a more abstract level, and provides more focus on its practical applications in areas such as: the classification and extraction of text data from various documents and web pages, image processing, Google's PageRank algorithm and relational data mining (RDM). These learning objectives are achieved through various ML software and a series of practicals and projects. The unit covers the concepts and notions of supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning, perceptron, neural networks, support vector machines (SVM), knowledge representation (KR) based RDM, and a comprehensive introduction to the Scikit-learn ML Python libraries.
School Computer, Data & Math Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Some probability and statistics knowledge would be advantageous.
- Analyse the scope of current machine learning approaches and applications for both current and future use.
- Determine the most appropriate tools to use for machine learning tasks using software applications including Python and R programming languages.
- Explain the core principles behind machine learning algorithms.
- Distinguish between supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning notions.
- pply Machine Learning software to real-world problems.
2. Installation and introduction to common ML software, which includes the introduction on the use of R and Python as needed for this course.
3. Introduction to linear, multiple and logistic regression.
4. Model selection, regularization and cross-validation:
Applications I: Introduction to NLP and classifying text data using logistic regression and naive Bayes.
5. Introduction to support vector machines (SVM):
Applications II: Classifying text data using SVM classifiers.
6. Introduction to neural networks (NN):
Applications III: Classifying text data and image data using recurrent and convolutional NN.
7. Unsupervised learning: K-Means Clustering and Hierarchical Clustering:
Applications IV: Google?fs PageRank algorithm.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quizzes x 2||1 hour(per Quiz)||40||N||Individual|
|2 x Submission of Lab Based Practical Work||2 hours||20||N||Individual|
|Report on using the most appropriate ML technique(s) for a dataset problem||1,500 words||40||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Vernon Asuncion Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.