RADI 7018 Principles of Vascular Sonography 4
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401298
Coordinator Donna Oomens Opens in new window
Description This unit aims to provide students with adequate knowledge and skills to practice competently and safely as vascular sonographers. Students will learn about more specialised diseases and how to detect them using ultrasound and other imaging modalities. Research skills will also be developed and students will start contributing to a wider sonographic practice by conducting a case project and presenting the report to the professional audience. The university library's vast teaching and research resources will provide an important means for facilitating learning in this unit.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) RADI 7017
Co-requisite(s) RADI 7014 - Practice of Vascular Sonography 4
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4765 Graduate Diploma in Vascular Sonography
Basic human anatomy and physiology.
- Assess atherosclerosis and aneurysmal development and relate to current treatment strategies (CLO 1)
- Evaluate the causes and effects of venous disease, including patient outcomes (CLO 1)
- Differentiate the unique characteristics of arterio-venous fistulae/grafts, and their assessment (CLO 3)
- Appraise principles of transplant surgery and the role ultrasound plays pre and post-surgery (CLO 4)
- Produce a report for a wider audience, including peers and other health professionals, based on a self-generated research project on vascular sonography (CLO 7)
1.Abdominal vascular pathology
3.Arterio-venous fistulae and grafts
4.Renal & liver transplant
Case Study & Research Skills 2
1.Principles of Research
3.Statistical analysis of collected data
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quiz||30 minutes||15||N||Individual|
|Research Report||1500 words||35||N||Individual|
|Case Study on: Atherosclerosis & aneurysmal development OR Causes & Effects of venous disease||1500 words||50||Y||Individual|
- Hartshorne, T., & Thrush, A., (2010). Peripheral Vascular Ultrasound: How, Why and When. 3rd Ed. Edinburgh, New York: Churchill Livingstone
- Pellerito, J., & Polak, F. (2012) Introduction to Vascular Ultrasonography (6th ed/(edited by) John S.Pellerito, Joseph F.Polak. (ed) Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier
- Underwood, J.C.E., (2009) General and Systemic Pathology. (5th Ed) : Churchill Livingstone