TEAC 3029 TESOL Curriculum Design
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102477
Coordinator Milena Ilisevic Opens in new window
Description This unit explores issues, approaches and stages in the TESOL curriculum design process within a range of contexts. It assists students to identify and implement effective strategies for planning, designing and evaluating language learning programs relevant to the needs of the learners and the contexts of learning.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline English as a Second Language Teaching
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Sufficient knowledge about teaching international English and English language teaching methodology.
- understand concepts and issues relating to the development of English as a foreign/second language curriculum;
- explore English language curriculum design in current Australian and international contexts;
- critically analyse approaches to curriculum design;
- analyse a range of language learning contexts and the implications for planning, programming and evaluating learning;
- analyse the equity issues in developing and evaluating programs;
- examine and critique various needs analysis approaches;
- develop skills in designing English language teaching syllabi;
- develop skills in planning, designing, evaluating programs for diverse groups of learners;
- develop skills in developing teacher skills and knowledge for planning and managing the materials design process; and
- enhance intercultural awareness in selecting teaching materials and teaching international English.
Understand contexts of language curriculum design in Australia and internationally
Discuss and model the curriculum design processes, including:
planning goals and learning outcomes
course planning and syllabus design
selecting, sequencing and organising content
selecting teaching and learning strategies
role and design of instructional materials
methods of student assessment
Understand key issues in curriculum design:
approaches to analysing needs
ideology, objectives, language and non-language outcomes
effective teaching- the institution, the teacher, the teaching and learning process
intercultural awareness in selecting and using resources and materials
managing resources and material development
approaches to curriculum evaluation
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Analysis of an English language teaching curriculum.||2,000 words||30||N||Individual|
|Curriculum Design of a Task-based English Language course.||2,500 words||50||N||Individual|
|Presentation via Zoom||10 minutes||20||N||Individual|
- Richards, J. C. (2001). Curriculum development in language teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Milena Ilisevic Opens in new window