HUMN 3082 The Making of the `Aborigines'
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101757
Coordinator Madison Shakespeare Opens in new window
Description This unit is available to all undergraduate students who have open electives. The Making of the 'Aborigines' explores the complex human relations and historical forces that have constructed Australia's indigenous people as 'Aboriginal' and/or 'Torres Strait Islander'. It will involve a critical examination of a range of contemporary social and political issues impacting on and being engaged by Indigenous people. A more comprehensive understanding of the position of Indigenous people in contemporary Australian society will enable students to engage more effectively with Indigenous people.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Indigenous Studies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Restrictions Successful completion of 60 credit points of study in currently enrolled program.
- identify key social and political issues that have impacted and shaped �eAboriginal�f and/or Torres Strait Islander�f lives and communities;
- critically analyse the impact of key social and political issues on Indigenous Australia;
- explain the impact of colonisation on Indigenous peoples and the ramifications of such for Non-Indigenous Australians;
- identify Indigenous peoples' strategies of resistance to the colonising process - comparative studies;
- use effective research skills to investigate the social and political issues that impact Indigenous Australia.
State and Commonwealth Policies e.g. Protection, Assimilation, Integration, Self-Determination
Indigenous social indicators
Indigenous welfare dependence
US Civil Rights Movement and influence on Indigenous Australia
Politics of Land/Land Rights/Native Title
Deaths in Custody
National Apology to the Stolen Generation
Northern Territory Intervention
Repatriation of Indigenous Remains
Revisionist policies e.g. NSW DSE Aboriginal Education Policy
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical analysis examing two separate selected readings||1,500 words||30||N||Individual|
|Online discussion on two Indigenous films - Comparative Study (One will be an international film).||Participation in vUWS and 600 words (for Short Answer)||25||N||Individual|
|Small Group or Individual Presentations; discussing the framing of contemporary Indigenous Identity||15 mins (per group) and 10 mins (for individual presentation)||30||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
- Book of Selected Readings
Subject Contact Madison Shakespeare Opens in new window