TEAC 3030 TESOL Placement
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102478
Coordinator Ping Yang Opens in new window
Description This subject provides students an opportunity to undertake a professional practice subject which consists of an internship in an English language teaching organisation for students of TESOL. It involves participation in the various aspects of the work of the teaching organisation, including classroom observation, service learning, supervised English language teaching practice component, and volunteer tutoring either in Australia or overseas. In-context placement experience assists TESOL students' career development.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline English as a Second Language Teaching
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 20cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) TEAC 2055
- identify through observation various TESOL approaches in different teaching situations
- demonstrate an understanding of successful TESOL teaching through observation of teaching and consultation with experienced teachers regarding their practice
- analyse and meet students' learning materials and resources
- adapt for use a variety of TESOL teaching materials and resources
- plan, deliver and evaluate TESOL teaching and learning activities; and
- demonstrate understanding of important non-teaching elements in language teaching and learning settings such as planning, classroom management, teacher collaboration, reflection of teaching materials design.
1. Attending on-campus information sessions, meetings, group discussions, and presentations
2. Observation of classes in a range of English language teaching settings, consultation with teaching staff, team-teaching, and teaching of small withdrawal groups as appropriate in English language teaching organisations, and participation in all aspects of work in these organisations
3. Examination of commercial and teacher-produced teaching resources and materials, including computer assisted language learning resources, current curriculum approaches, and language assessment materials in the range of TESOL settings
4. Supervised practice teaching in the centre in which they are undertaking their internship or through an English language centre
5. Tutoring adult learners on a volunteer basis based on their learning needs
6. Practicum may be undertaken in the partner universities overseas depending on funding and placement availability
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional Placement Performance||varied||30||N||Individual|
- Richards, J. C., & Farrell, T. S. C. (2005). Professional development for language teachers: Strategies for teacher learning. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.