TEAC 2034 Language Assessment and Testing
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102475
Coordinator Julie Lim Opens in new window
Description This subject introduces students to fields of language assessment and testing in teaching English as a foreign/second language. It provides students with some insight into the key language components for assessment, assessment design and development. It also equips students with updated knowledge about different assessment approaches which impact on the teaching and learning of English as a foreign/second language in local and global contexts.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline English as a Second Language Teaching
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of key terms in language assessment and testing
- identify and discuss various issues in language skills assessment and testing
- use different and appropriate techniques and methods in language assessment and testing
- design and develop valid and reliable language skills tests
- demonstrate understanding of language assessment feedback and improve testing methods
- apply language assessment and skills testing in specific educational contexts
Purposes of language assessment and testing
Properties of language assessment (validity and reliability)
Current second language proficiency assessment and issues
Methods for language assessment and skills testing with reference to learner profiling and curriculum design
Language assessment and test design and development with consideration of diverse education systems
Development of valid and reliable international standardised tests
Language assessment feedback and analysis for improving teaching and learning outcomes
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review||2000 words||40||N||Individual|
|Presentation||10 minutes||20||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
- Hughes, A. (2003). Testing for language teachers (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Julie Lim Opens in new window