REHA 3021 Occupation and Neurology
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 400171
Coordinator Karen Liu Opens in new window
Description This unit prepares occupational therapy students to work in a variety of settings with individuals who have a neurological condition. The impact of common neurological conditions on the person, their environment and their occupations will be examined. Students will be exposed to a variety of assessments, interventions and evaluation tools suitable for this client population.
School Health Sciences
Discipline Occupational Therapy
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) Students enrolled in 4663 Bachelor of Health ScienceMasters of Occupational Therapy or 4711 Bachelor of Occupational Therapy 4 must have completed units NATS 3037 - Neuroanatomy and REHA 2006 - People Environment and Occupations
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 4663 Bachelor of Health Science/Masters of Occupational Therapy or 4711 Bachelor of Occupational Therapy or 4712 Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours).
- Reflect on, and describe the impact of stroke and traumatic brain injury on a client and their carer.
- Administer and interpret selected assessments and outcome measures which are appropriate for use in neurological rehabilitation.
- Analyse the performance of clients with stroke and traumatic brain injury, and suggest possible reasons for observable performance difficulties.
- Describe, demonstrate, and prioritise occupational therapy interventions, based on analysis of client performance and recent research evidence.
- Develop specific, measurable, client-centred goals.
- Identify the strengths, weaknesses, and �eclinical bottom line�f of key research studies in neurological rehabilitation.
- Describe community support services which may help people with neurological conditions, and their carers.
- The lived experience of A variety of neurological conditions
- evidence based assessment, intervention and evaluation of neurological conditions
- Critical appraisal of interventions used by occupational therapists in neurological rehabilitation
- community engagement: interventions to address Productivity, social integration and independent Living skills
- impact of neurological conditions on The Roles, occupations and participation of individuals and carers
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Presentation||20 mins of in-class presentation including demonstration and peer-led discussion||30||N||Group|
|Quiz||Up to 40 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Case Study||2500 words||50||N||Individual|
Subject Contact Karen Liu Opens in new window