COMP 3012 Introduction to Cloud Computing
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301203
Coordinator Bahman Javadi Jahantigh Opens in new window
Description This unit, the first half of Amazon Web Services (AWS) Academy Cloud Computing Architecture curriculum, provides deep understanding of fundamental cloud computing concepts and how it can be applied to build cost-effective; highly available and fault tolerant systems. Students will learn concepts including system virtualisation; virtual machines; cloud networks; basic cloud storage and cloud databases; security in clouds; and auto-scaling, load balancing, and monitoring. All these aspects are explored in practice with AWS services.
School Computer, Data & Math Sciences
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
- Explain the concept of system virtualisation
- Explain and apply basic cloud services
- Describe the main factors that affect the cost of cloud services and how they can be applied to minimise total cost of ownership
- Explain and apply basic concepts of security, high availability, and fault tolerance in clouds
- Analyse systems that utilise basic cloud services
2. Fundamentals of cloud computing and cloud networking
3. Basic cloud services: virtual machines, cloud storage, availability zones, auto-scaling, load balancing, and monitoring
4. Cost optimization in cloud services
5. Introduction to cloud security
6. Introduction to cloud databases
7. High availability and fault-tolerance in clouds
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Tutorial labs||15 minutes each for 10 labs||50||N||Individual|
|Online quiz||10 minutes each for 9 quizzes||0||Y||Individual|
|Final exam||2 hours||50||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Bahman Javadi Jahantigh Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.