NATS 7055 Experiment Design and Project Management
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Mark Williams Opens in new window
Description Essential to a career in any branch of science is the ability to design the experiments of a project and manage this project to an outcome. This unit provides an introduction to the general theory of experiment design. The unit reviews the role of randomisation and replication in experiment design, considers the design techniques of constancy, blocking, and presents a number of experimental designs. This unit also covers the tools and techniques for effectively managing projects. Topics include development of project plans; estimation of time and resources; risk analysis and management; scheduling and control; resource allocation; project tracking; project closure and review.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
- Devise a series of experiments to address project or research objectives, including selection of an appropriate study design, data source or data collection plan, and a strategy for analysis.
- Critically assess results and propose further series of experiments.
- Appraise how project management concepts provide improvements in strategic planning and management of projects.
- Apply knowledge and techniques to project planning, risk assessment and project management.
- Evaluate procedures for monitoring, controlling, and completing projects.
2.Experimental/research design: planning a research project: Experimental and quasi-experimental designs, between and within-subjects experimental designs.
3.Interpretation of results, analysis strategy, experiment re-design.
4.Project life cycle, selection and initiation, project planning.
5.Resource scheduling, budgeting.
6.Evaluating and managing risk.
7.Project progress and performance measurement, closure and audit.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz||6 x 20 min||30||N||Individual|
|Portfolio: plan of experiments, data collection and analysis||3,500 words||40||N||Individual|
|Portfolio: Draft project planning, management plan, risk assessment||2,500 words||30||N||Individual|
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Mark Williams Opens in new window