BLDG 4004 Estimating 2
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 300726
Coordinator Yingbin Feng Opens in new window
Description The aim of this subject is to give students a hands-on experience of the tendering process for construction professionals. Students undertake a team research project to determine the optimum parameters for a civil/building infrastructure estimation.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Building Construction Economics
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 5406 - Estimating 2
Building construction including residential, light industrial and small commercial as covered in the subjects Building 1 and Building 2 and building measurement as covered in Building Quantities and Estimating as covered in Estimating 1.
- Prepare a tender for a major infrastructure project;
- Identify and discuss ethical issues relating to the tendering process
- Demonstrate how document control is managed.
- Price and code plant and material, labour, built-up and all-in unit rates.
- Calculate the preliminaries including those for remote areas.
- Produce a Bill of quantities documentation: extend and checks; making comparisons: net rates bill; and civil estimating.
- Conduct statistical analyses, including: regression analysis and Monte Carlo simulation to achieve optimum project cost.
Document control including receipt & send-out procedures;
Pricing and coding: all-in rates for plant and material, labour rates, build up unit rates;
Calculation of preliminaries including considerations for remote areas;
Bill of quantities documentation: extend and checks; making comparisons: net rates bill; civil estimating;
Statistical analysis, including: regression analysis and Monte Carlo simulation.
All in accordance with the current edition of the Australian Standard Method of Measurement of Building Works, and the Guide to Estimating Practice for Building Work.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quiz||20 minutes||10||N||Individual|
|Estimating Report||4000 word estimating team report||40||N||Both (Individual & Group)|
|Oral presentation||10 minutes for each group||10||N||Individual|
|Final Online Exam||2 hours||40||N||Individual|