TEAC 7067 Leading Science in the Primary School
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102487
Coordinator Karina Mckoy Opens in new window
Description The purpose of this unit is for students to engage in leadership practices and theory associated with an expert primary science teacher. Students will evaluate curriculum resources and consider strategies for integrating science with other disciplines in primary teaching contexts. Students will develop their capacity for leading science professional learning experiences and innovation to other educators.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in 1845 Graduate Certificate in Primary Science Education.
A basic understanding of planning units of work, features of positive classroom environments, and outcomes of the primary science syllabus is desirable.
- Evaluate a set of curriculum resources for primary science education and its use in an authentic teaching context
- Justify the integration of science outcomes across the curriculum
- Analyse strategies for engaging the local community with implementation of the primary science curriculum
- Defend how you have developed pedagogical content knowledge and leadership skills for teaching a selected primary science topic
- Propose how action research can be used to develop professional knowledge of primary science teachers
- Design a professional development session that supports colleagues in primary science with developing knowledge and skills for teaching a selected primary science topic
- Articulate future professional development opportunities in primary science education
2. Integrating science with other disciplines
3. Developing professional knowledge and leadership skills for teaching primary science
4. Action research in primary science
5. Leading science professional learning experiences
6. Engaging the community in primary science
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review||2,000 words||50||N||Individual|