CART 7002 Applied Practice in Literary Studies and Creative Writing
Credit Points 20
Legacy Code 102222
Coordinator Fiona Wright Opens in new window
Description This unit familiarises students with the practice of pursuing and presenting research and methods in literature and related forms as well as with regard to the kinds of research required for undertaking creative work. It provides students with the opportunity to explore these methods in their own research and/or creative practice. This unit opens out into workshops in which students work through elements of the work they are developing for their masters project.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Written Communication
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 20cp
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Incompatible Subjects HUMN 4009 - Research Design 1 Theories of Enquiry HUMN 4010 - Research Design 2 Practices of Research
Students must be enrolled in 1797 or 1831 Master of Arts in Literature and Creative Writing.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Read, understand and interpret complex literary texts
- Write at a high level in a range of critical and creative forms
- Explain the elements involved in properly constructing an argument
- Reflect on the significance of literary texts in imagining and interpreting the world
- Construct coherent, evidence-based arguments of literary scholarship
- Identify the range of methods used to produce good quality work of creative writing.
This subject will develop the practice of:
1. research and writing particular to literary studies and criticism
2. research and writing particular to creative writing
3. surveying the publishing scene to consider publishing options
4. surveying the literary critical scene in Australia and internationally to consider placing works of criticism
5. considering the focus and the impact of the writing practice being attempted (creative or critical)
6. writing and workshopping critical and/or creative work
7. reading and critically engaging with the work of others
8. designing a longer piece of creative or critical work for the masters project
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Short Overview Essay (on the design of the Masters Project)||2,000 words||40||N||Individual|
|Short Sample Work (Creative or Essay)||2,000 words||40||N||Individual|
|Critical Reflection on Others Work||500 words||20||N||Individual|
- Mudrooroo, Narogin. 1983. Doctor Wooreddy�fs Prescription for Enduring the Ending of the World. Whatever edition you can source.
- Spark, Muriel. 1961. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Whatever edition you can source.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Fiona Wright Opens in new window