ENGR 1040 Designing for People: Applied Ergonomics
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301286
Coordinator Jean Payette Opens in new window
Description Ergonomics is the study of the interaction between people, their environments, and their objects. A sound understanding of the principles of ergonomics allows a designer to develop products, systems and environments with optimum product usability and end user safety. In this unit, students are introduced to modelling workshop procedures and undertake their own ergonomic study. Students then build and test a hand-held scale product, and integrate user feedback into their redesign.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Other Engineering And Related Technologies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
- Apply ergonomics theory and methods to conduct, document and interpret ergonomics research.
- Analyse the ergonomics of an existing hand-held consumer product.
- Redesign a hand-held consumer product with reference to ergonomics theory and practical research.
- Generate basic plan drawings for 1:1 scale Usability Model.
- Apply modelling techniques to produce a 1:1 scale model to demonstrate product functions and to test product usability.
- Locate and comply with relevant Australian product safety standards.
-Safety issues in the workshop ? induction
-Ergonomics of lighting
-Visual and Auditory display
-Information / Control display
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Professional Task: Ergonomics analysis & design brief||Ergonomics analysis report: 1,250 words (20%); Design brief: 1,000 words (10%)||30||N||Individual|
|Applied Project||3 x A2 Concept renderings (Photoshop & Illustrator)||20||N||Individual|
|Report and Practical||Report: 1,000 words (Redesign report 15%, testing report 15%); Working model 1:1 (20%)||50||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Jean Payette Opens in new window