BUSM 4002 Seminal Papers in Business
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200898
Coordinator Edward Mariyani-Squire Opens in new window
Description The aim of this subject is to develop skills in applying rigorous analysis and critical assessment to research-debates in business disciplines through an examination of seminal literature in particular business fields which often embrace conflicting theoretical approaches. This will provide candidates with the advanced skills needed to critically analyse debates in a business discipline, while also enabling them to gain more familiarity with theories, issues, and problems in a particular research area. Seminal business papers will be analysed through a balanced and constructive critique of their strengths and weaknesses, providing suggestions for how the work might be extended or improved. From this subject, students will be able to apply the rigorous analytical skills to their own work.
Discipline Business and Management, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 4 subject
Students must be enrolled in program 8083 Bachelor of Research Studies/Master of Research.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Present an overview of the main theories related to their planned research topic from scholarly journals and texts
- Examine these authors�f perspectives on their topic and the arguments that they present
- Critically analyse the style, structure, and content of the literature and debate and defend their critical analysis
- Identify and critically analyse the philosophical, theoretical and methodological approaches of the research outlined in the literature
- Identify and discuss gaps in the literature as it pertains to their research area
- Employ scholarly conventions used in identifying and accessing information sources, summarising and analysing literature, compiling research reports and articles and in dissertation construction
Seminal debates in business theory will be presented by senior academics from the range of disciplines represented in the School of Business and by visiting scholars. Each seminar will outline the context of the original research contribution and then describe the ensuing debate, drawing also on contemporary work that is based on the developments of, or has arisen from original research. Each seminar will be followed by a workshop session discussing the presentation. The uniting strand of this subject will be a comparison of the debates from the different business disciplines with emphasis on how this knowledge should shape a critical review of the theories informing the candidate?fs planned research.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Critical Review||2,500 words||50||N||Individual|
- A set of readings will be provided on vUWS
2nd Half (2023)
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Edward Mariyani-Squire Opens in new window