NURS 3043 Midwife as a Facilitator of Learning
Credit Points 10
Coordinator Fiona Arundell Opens in new window
Description In this subject students will gain knowledge of adult learning principles and skills in facilitating learning in a range of hospital and community settings, including group antenatal care and childbirth and parenting education sessions. The role of the midwife in supporting women to make informed choices and be self-determined will be explored. In addition, students will gain knowledge and skills in facilitating student and peer learning and will begin to understand their role in teaching and learning as a registered midwife.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Students must be enrolled in 4684 Bachelor of Midwifery
1. Apply adult learning principles when working with students, peers, women and families.
2. Appraise the skills required for group facilitation
3. Facilitate learning by using a range of communication skills
4. Promote health improvement, women’s choices and self-determination through an educational process
5. Evaluate a range of teaching strategies and resources to facilitate health learning for women and families
6. Critically analyse the role of the midwife in supporting student, new graduate and peer learning
- Principles of adult learning
- Communication skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Strategies and resources used in group based learning
- Digital health resources and emerging technologies to enable learning
- Role of the midwife in supporting student and peer learning
- Supporting women’s right to make informed choices and self-determination
- Motivational interviewing and supporting behaviour change
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Viva Voce||15 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Presentation||10 minute presentation||20||N||Individual|
|Reflection||750 word reflection||20||N||Individual|
|Critical Review||1000 words||40||N||Individual|
- Pairman, S., Tracy, S., Dahlen, H., Dixon, L. (2019). Midwifery: Preparation for practice, (4th ed.). Chatswood, N.S.W: Elsevier, Australia