LANG 3054 Japanese 304: Discourse in Japanese
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 101970
Coordinator Xiangdong Liu Opens in new window
Description This subject is designed to enable post-intermediate students of Japanese to learn and practice spoken Japanese at an advanced level. Students will explore Japanese discourse styles and discourse strategies in a range of situations, registers and levels of formality. In addition to the essential readings, materials drawn from educational videos, feature films, television dramas, news programs and language corpus will be used for class discussions and as data for analysis.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Discipline Eastern Asian Languages
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 0082 - Japanese 304 Discourse in Japanese
Japanese 203 and Japanese 204 or equivalent knowledge.
- demonstrate knowledge of a range of Japanese discourse styles;
- analyse Japanese discourse from viewpoints such as identity, gender, politeness and level of formality;
- explain the discourse functions of ellipsis and euphemism;
- identify main functions of Japanese discourse particles and some other discourse markers;
- apply their knowledge about Japanese discourse to produce the most appropriate utterances in a given situation including formal and informal talk with a friend or colleague, dealing with a customer, speaking at a job interview, etc.
Major discourse markers and their functions;
Ellipsis and euphemism in Japanese spoken discourse;
Formal and informal expressions in different settings including small talk, telephone conversation, presentation, and interview;
Use of honorific expressions to reflect different levels of politeness and social distance;
Gender differences among Japanese speakers in terms of language use.
There are inherent requirements for this subject that you must meet in order to successfully complete this subject. Make sure you read and understand the requirements for your subject online.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Portfolio||Equivalent to 4,000 Japanese characters||40||N||Individual|
|Presentation||Equivalent to 4,000 Japanese characters||30||N||Individual|
|Research Project||Equivalent to 4,000 Japanese characters||30||N||Individual|
- Readings and other learning materials will be provided by the lecturer.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Xiangdong Liu Opens in new window