PERF 1014 Music Production
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102558
Coordinator Brendan Smyly Opens in new window
Description This unit presents an overview of the basic concepts and applications of electronic and digital music production technology in current music and media arts practice. Students will learn the fundamentals of musical acoustics, stereo recording and mixing techniques, and they will be introduced to MIDI systems and sequencing. Technical concepts are contextualised within a survey of current music production practice.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects PERF 1005 - Digital Musics 1 Musical Contexts PERF 1009 - Introduction to Sound Technologies
Restrictions Available places limited by technological infrastructure.
- Apply basic acoustic terminology in real world, practical music scenarios.
- Identify and define basic electroacoustic and computer technology.
- Conduct and evaluate stereo audio recordings.
- Operate computer-based MIDI and audio mixing systems.
- Operate basic live music production and audio systems.
- Those attending Art of Sound will be able to: Participate meaningfully in Art of Sound activities and projects, working with students across the Music program to develop collaborative, technical and performance skills.
Practical and theoretical examinations of modern control and sequencing techniques.
The principles of microphone capture (stereophonic and monophonic).
Critical listening and examinations of contemporary music production practice.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Applied Project 1||1–2 minutes||20||N||Individual|
|Applied Project 2||3 minutes||40||N||Individual|
|Attendance: Art of Sound||n/a||S/U||Y||Individual|
- Logic Pro X Essential Training (2020)
- Link: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/logic-pro-x-essential-training-2020?u=51101937
- Audio Recording Techniques
- Link: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/audio-recording-techniques/welcome?u=51101937
- (Note these texts are provided through the WSU Linkedin learning site license)
2022 Semester 1
Subject Contact Brendan Smyly Opens in new window
Attendance Requirements 80% attendance rate is imposed in all core subjects’ due to the nature of class activities that are aligned with subject assessments.