LANG 0027 English for International Students 1 (WSTC)
Credit Points 0
Legacy Code 900120
Coordinator Jackson Howard Opens in new window
Description This subject is designed to meet the academic literacy needs of International students completing the Extended Diplomas in Arts, Building Design Management, Business, Communication, Construction Management, Criminal and Community Justice, Design, Engineering, Health Science, ICT, Science, Social Science and Policing. It is designed specifically for International students who have met the IELTS specifications of these courses. The subject will support these students in understanding how to perform successfully within it in terms of academic literacy skills. Specifically, this subject will focus on improving students' listening and reading comprehension skills, writing skills, speaking, vocabulary and grammar. It consists of 2 hours per week of face-to-face instruction in order to provide students with targeted, structured support.
School Western Sydney The College
Discipline English Language
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 0 Preparatory subject
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- ? Demonstrate proficiency in listening comprehension skills
- ? Demonstrate proficiency in reading comprehension skills
- ? Demonstrate proficiency in delivering oral presentations
- ? Demonstrate proficiency in academic writing skills
- ? Demonstrate proficiency in the use of correct grammar and academic vocabulary commensurate with Diploma Level
- Activities designed to improve listening comprehension
- Activities designed to improve the ability of students to self-identify and correct grammatical and structural errors in writing, including paragraph and sentence structure and punctuation
- Activities designed to improve students' reading comprehension and oral presentation and discussion skills in an academic environment
- Activities to improve students' level of academic vocabulary and grammar
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Listening Test: Students listen to recording, answer questions and complete a summary.||35||N||Individual|
|Reading, grammar and vocabulary quiz including: - ascertain the meanings of words from context - manipulate word forms - correct sentences which contain errors - write a paragraph and include evidence||30||N||Individual|
|Oral presentation: Students will give a presentation in pairs to the class on a topic related to their field of study.||35||N||Individual|