PERF 7007 Music Therapy Theory and Practice 1
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 100912
Coordinator Allison Fuller Opens in new window
Description In 2023, this subject replaced by PERF 6002 - Music Therapy Theory & Practice 1. This subject focuses on the delivery of music therapy to infants, children and adolescents with various approaches and settings being explored across the semester. There is an emphasis on the eclectic music therapy approach and how current psychotherapy approaches, practice approaches and music therapy approaches can be successfully combined to meet the therapeutic needs of the music therapy participant/s. An introduction to music therapy research, with particular attention to writing a literature review, is included. The Australian Music Therapy Association (AMTA) standards of practice are overviewed and explored through active group work. In addition, musical analysis, teamwork approaches, creative arts therapy models and group work in music therapy are also explored.
School Humanities & Comm Arts
Student Contribution Band
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Pre-requisite(s) PERF 7003
Students must be enrolled in 1650 Master of Creative Music Therapy.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Create professional online presentations, use critical thinking skills, and engage in active learning methods within the music therapy learning context.
- Identify current therapy orientations and apply practice approaches and music therapy approaches through the development of an eclectic music therapy approach.
- Identify key considerations and methods in the delivery of music therapy to infants, children and adolescents across a range of settings.
- Conduct a focused literature review on one major music therapy approach/orientation, with an application to either infants, children or adolescents.
- Identify and describe the Australian Music Therapy Association (AMTA) standards of practice and explain the purpose of the AMTA code of ethics.
- Describe and explain the areas of creative arts therapy, team work models and group work models in relation to music therapy with infants, children and adolescents.
Music Therapy Approaches and Orientations: The eclectic music therapy approach and the integration of current therapeutic orientations and practice approaches.
Music Therapy Population/Settings: Focus on music therapy with infants, children and adolescents across a range of settings including education, health and community.
Music Therapy Literature Review: Introduction to music therapy research methods with a focus on writing a music therapy literature review.
AMTA Standards of Practice: Music therapy referral, assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation, documentation and termination with a focus on infants, children and adolescents.
Musical Analysis: Principles, elements, techniques and the application of musical analysis to music therapy practice.
Music & The Brain: Introduction to music psychology and overview of how music affects the brain.
Music Therapy Approaches and Orientations: Receptive methods of music therapy, with focus on guided imagery and music.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Short Answer||Minimum of 300 words on 10 out of 12 weeks (3000 words in total)||30||N||Individual|
|Literature Review||3,000 words||40||N||Individual|
|Participation||Attendance at a minimum of 11 lectorials across the semester||S/U||Y||Individual|