LAWS 7065 Moot Court
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 201070
Coordinator John Juriansz Opens in new window
Description Students will participate in mooting conducted before an appellate court or tribunal. Students will be provided with a grounding in issues including jurisdiction, admissibility, and remedies. The subject will focus on one or more areas of domestic substantive law and will include a research component. Students will prepare and present a hypothetical case before an appellate court or tribunal and will be given the opportunity to develop their advocacy skills, including the preparation of written submissions and delivery of oral submissions. Undertaking this subject would be useful for students seeking to participate in one or more law mooting competitions representing Western Sydney University.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in program 2826 Juris Doctor.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse complex factual problems involving issues of substantive law;
- Undertake extensive research in relation to complex issues of substantive law;
- Produce draft written submissions which demonstrate clear, well structured, appropriately referenced, critical and original analysis and arguments;
- Exhibit command of court etiquette, the rules of procedure and requirements regarding an oral presentation to the relevant court by engaging in a moot;
- Display a level of oral presentation skills appropriate to that required for national moot court competitions;
- Collaborate constructively with team members in researching issues and preparing oral and written submissions.
- Issues including Jurisdiction, admissibility, and Remedies
- Issues of Substantive Law
- Mooting conducted before An Appellate court or tribunal
- Advocacy skills
- presentation of A hypothetical case before An Appellate court or tribunal
- Rules and procedures of The relevant court or tribunal
- legal research skills
- John Snape and Gary Watt, How to Moot: A Student Guide to Mooting (Oxford University Press, 2nd ed, 2010)