LAWS 3046 Law of Employment
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200297
Coordinator Sandra Noakes Opens in new window
Description This unit focuses on the law that regulates individual aspects of employment relationships including the contract of employment. It aims to place an examination of the development, nature and scope of relevant legal principles in the context of the key features of the contemporary Australian labour market.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) LAWS 2003
Equivalent Subjects LGYB 0299 - Law of Employment
Incompatible Subjects LAWS 3017 - Employment Law and Policy
- Identify and examine the sources of law that govern the employment relationship.
- Critically analyse the law of employment from contemporary and historical perspectives within an economic and social context.
- Apply the principles of the law of employment to factual problems.
The different forms of employment relationships and how to distinguish them
The content of the contract of employment including the duties implied at common law
Termination and remedies at common law
Termination and remedies under statute, including unfair dismissal
Some selected aspects of statutory regulation of employment
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online quizzes, consisting of multiple choice and short answer questions||10 online quizzes||20||N||Individual|
|Intra-Session Exam: In-class invigilated||20 minutes||10||N||Individual|
|Class Participation||Every week during semester||10||N||Individual|
|Final Exam: Take home final examination||2,500 words||60||N||Individual|
- Carolyn Sappideen, Paul O�fGrady and Joellen Riley, Macken�fs Law of Employment (Thomson Reuters, 8th ed, 2016).
- Ereader resources: selected readings and resources compiled for the subject, which will be available via Readings and Resources on vUWS.
2022 Semester 1
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Sandra Noakes Opens in new window