NURS 7004 Applied Research in Health Care
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 401167
Coordinator Sheree Smith Opens in new window
Description Research is a necessary undertaking toward the continued development of nursing, midwifery and health science and practice. This unit prepares students for undertaking or participating in research in the clinical setting. It also seeks to prepare students to consider higher degree research opportunities. Students will explore the various theoretical underpinnings of research as well as develop a clear understanding of various research designs, data collection methods, sampling techniques and data analysis.
School Nursing & Midwifery
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 1 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Equivalent Subjects LGYA 7109 - Applied Nursing Research
Restrictions Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
- Understand the theoretical underpinnings of research methodology
- Conduct a critical literature review to define a gap in knowledge that requires investigation
- Develop a research question and study aim
- Select an appropriate research methodology to investigate a clinical problem
- Plan data collection that will provide answers to a research question, are congruent with the methodology chosen, and will collect appropriate data
- Identify ethical issues related to human research
- Select appropriate analysis techniques for various types of data
- Identify methods of disseminating research findings
The research process
Quantitative research designs
Types of qualitative research
Mixed methods research
Data collection strategies
Qualitative data analysis
Overview of statistical analysis
Interpretation of study findings
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Online Quiz||1 hour (45 marks)||15||N||Individual|
|Critique of research methodology||1,000 words||25||N||Individual|
|Research Proposal||3,000 words||60||N||Individual|
- There is no essential textbook.