HUMN 7044 Theories of Difference and Diversity
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102176
Coordinator Peta Hinton Opens in new window
Description This subject will introduce students at post-graduate level to contemporary theories and concepts of difference and diversity. The subject will particularly examine feminism, post-structuralism, new materialism, queer theory and critical realism. It will also address specific concepts such as inequality, human rights, freedom and marginalisation. It will apply these theories and concepts to investigations of contemporary social issues and debates related to race, disability, ethnicity, sexuality, gender and other categories of individual identity and collective belonging. The subject will provide a strong theoretical base to the work that students have undertaken in the subject Theories for Critical Practice, and inform the work to be undertaken in the other subjects in this specialisation.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Studies In Human Society
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Postgraduate Coursework Level 7 subject
Students must be enrolled in a postgraduate program.
Undergraduate degree in the Social Sciences or equivalent.
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Differentiate and analyse contemporary theories of difference and diversity
- Argue a personal position of difference and diversity
- Critically appraise concepts of inequality, human rights, freedom, marginalisation
- Demonstrate the application of theories in relation to contemporary social issues of difference and diversity
1. What is meant by the terms difference and diversity
2. Concepts of inequality, human rights, freedom, marginalisation
3. Contemporary theories of difference and diversity
4. Assumptions and perspectives and impacts of contemporary theories
5. Developing a theoretical position
6. Linking theories and concepts to the Australian context and social issues
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Peta Hinton Opens in new window