SPRT 2011 Sustainability, Tourism and Place
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 102386
Coordinator Julie Wen Opens in new window
Description Sustainability, Tourism and Place provides students with a fundamental understanding of the current debates in tourism management and sustainable places. The complex relationship and interaction among diverse stakeholders involved in places and tourism are explored. The unit encourages a systems approach, and focuses on traveller origin places, tourist experience and community development. The unit aims to assist students in the analysis of the role of tourism in sustainable places by applying a wide range of case studies.
School Social Sciences
Discipline Society and Culture, Not Elsewhere Classified.
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 2 subject
Equivalent Subjects SPRT 2006 - Outdoor Recreation and Leisure
Successful completion of 80 credit points.
- Appraise the scope and complex interactions in places with tourism development;
- Assess relationships between tourism and places in terms of the social, economic, and environmental vitality;
- Apply theories to critique destination marketing and the sustainability of places;
- Evaluate the contribution of tourism to healthy and sustainable places.
2. Structure, roles and systems in places of tourism
3. Relationship of tourism to place: social, cultural, economic, and environmental impacts and sustainability
4. Contemporary issues in tourism practice and sustainability: recreation and leisure, healthy places, construction of places, the role of nature in tourism, virtual tourism, urban, rural, marine and other emerging types of tourism
5. Destination marketing and sustainable places.
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Open book exam||Two hours during semester, 1,000 words||30||N||Individual|
|Case analysis of tourism and place||15 minutes presentation per group||25||N||Group|
|Sustainable places and tourism report||2,000 words||45||N||Individual|
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact Julie Wen Opens in new window