FINC 3004 Financial Planning
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 200627
Coordinator Penny Janson Opens in new window
Description The subject endeavours to provide students with an understanding of the complex process and contextualisation of the Australian Financial Planning Industry. This subject aims to introduce students to the principles of personal financial planning and the provision of personal financial advice including the preparation of a Statement of Advice (SOA). Topics covered include the current Australian regulatory environment, strategies for the accumulation of wealth and risk protection, retirement planning, estate planning, taxation consequences, debt and credit management and home ownership. This subject meets ASIC requirements (PS146) in relation to both knowledge and skills.
Discipline Banking and Finance
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 4 10cp
Check your fees via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 3 subject
Pre-requisite(s) FINC 3014
Equivalent Subjects -
On successful completion of this subject, students should be able to:
- Assess client needs in the development of a financial plan/statement of advice
- Analyse appropriate strategies for investment, risk management, asset allocation, taxation, superannuation, social security, aged care, and estate issues.
- Make decisions using knowledge of the theories and practice involved in personal financial planning
- Communicate complex information to clients in a concise, clear, and professional manner
- Provide relevant details and possible outcomes of advice using critical thinking, evidence and ethics.
- Financial planning skills and documents
- Professionalism and ethics
- Developing a Statement of Advice
- Areas of advice: budgeting, investment, insurance, retirement, aged care & estate planning
- Advice strategies
- Financial planning in practice
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
- Taylor, S Financial Planning in Australia: Advice and Wealth Management 10th edn, 2021, LexisNexis Butterworths, Aust.
Parramatta City - Macquarie St
Subject Contact Penny Janson Opens in new window