ENGR 1042 Sustainable Materials and Smart Manufacturing
Credit Points 10
Legacy Code 301288
Coordinator James Berry Opens in new window
Description In this unit we explore the circular 'Cradle to Cradle' design philosophy through material choice and manufacturing systems. Introduced are conventional materials, smart materials, and manufacturing systems within an ecological assessment framework, equipping designers with the tools to select and assess materials and manufacturing processes appropriate to use. Students undertake a life cycle materials research project and a design for manufacture (DFM) project in the context of emergent Industry 4.0 principles.
School Eng, Design & Built Env
Discipline Other Engineering And Related Technologies
Student Contribution Band HECS Band 2 10cp
Check your HECS Band contribution amount via the Fees page.
Level Undergraduate Level 1 subject
Equivalent Subjects ENGR 1032 Sustainable Design Materials Technology ENGR 1031 Sustainable Design 1 Materials Technology
- Explain the stages involved, and associated environmental and social impacts of contemporary materials processing and manufacturing
- Identify and describe how the properties of materials relate to contemporary manufacturing processes
- Use knowledge of materials properties and manufacturing processes in selecting suitable materials to meet a simple (closed) design brief for a physical artefact and to justify the selection
- Describe potential applications of new and emerging materials and processes in the circular economy and Industry 4.0 framework
2. Material finishes and coatings
3. Material selection and specification for product design
4. Material aesthetics and personalities
5. Sustainable material selection, specification and comparison
6. Life cycle analysis using material library tools
7. Design for manufacturing and assembly
8. Simulating plastic forming through making
9. Introduction to Industry 4.0 for manufactured material accreditation and tracking
The following table summarises the standard assessment tasks for this subject. Please note this is a guide only. Assessment tasks are regularly updated, where there is a difference your Learning Guide takes precedence.
|Quiz||3 x 30 Minutes||30||N||Individual|
|Applied Project: Mould design||Mould simulation - 3 page report||40||N||Individual|
|Report and design proposal||Design proposal: 10 page diagrammatic visual design Report (500 words)||30||N||Individual|
- Thompson, R 2007, Manufacturing processes for design professionals, Thames & Hudson, New York.
Parramatta - Victoria Rd
Subject Contact James Berry Opens in new window